Baseball Sweeps Hartford

Behind two good performances from their starting pitchers, the SBU Baseball Team swept a doubleheader from Hartford on Apr. 14.

SBU won the first game 1-0, and the second 3-1. Gary Novakowski allowed only two hits and struck out two batters in the first game. Kurt Jung pitched into the sixth inning in the second game, allowing only one run on 6 hits while striking out two. Jonathan Kalkau finished the game, striking out two while picking up the save.

The only run in the first game came off of a solo home run by Michael Stephan in the fourth inning. Stephan picked up two of the team’s five hits.

In the second game, SBU took a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning. Robert Dyer singled with the bases loaded to drive in Robert Leonard to score the first run. Keith Fier drove in Justin Echevarria with a squeeze bunt to get the second run across.

After Hartford got a run across in the bottom of the fourth, SBU answered right back with an RBI single by Echevarria. SBU managed seven hits in the game, and were led by Dyer’s 2-3.

SBU continues their season next weekend when they host a four game set with Albany.