Executive Chef Profile

If there is one thing Stony Brook students can get excited about, it is free food. As the semester winds down, remaining meal plan points seem few and far between. However, there is one place where no meal plan is required. The Executive Chef’s Kitchen at the Kelly Dining Center offers free demonstrations of food being cooked by some of SBU’s finest chefs. The best part? After the demo, it’s all you can eat. Held Monday through Thursday at 5:30 PM, this is one of SBU’s best kept secrets.

This past Monday was Greek Night and one of SBU’s chefs, Hristos, showed students how to make gyros and with Greek salad. Students eagerly waited for this savory combination and watched Hristos’ skill with the knives. It wasn’t his first time in the kitchen;, in fact, he’s had a lifetime of experience. He said smiling, “Cooking has been in the family since I was born.” He added laughing, “It was like, ‘Here’s a spatula!'” He said he’s always enjoyed cooking; he watched his aunts and uncles around Easter time whip up their greatest dishes. As much as he enjoyed cooking, he didn’t know at the time that he was eventually going to be a chef. He didn’t realize until his late teens that this was what he wanted to do. He said, “It was like, why not? I had been doing it in my uncle’s kitchen since I was 13 years old.”

Hristos has always enjoyed cooking; he said he likes the thrill of it. He added, “I like to make people smile.” He especially likes working at SBU, having said, “I just love the atmosphere here.” Hristos wants to see more students get involved with special events like the Executive Chef’s Kitchen. He said, “It’s special,” and added, “You get to see different ideas, different ethnicities, and different styles of cooking.”