Bengali Show Overtakes Stony Brook

On Sunday, March 18, the Bengalis Unite Club of Stony Brook University held its annual cultural show. The event, which took place in the SAC Auditorium, ran from 6:00 PM through 11:00 PM. Sponsored by the Long Island Bengali Community, the show was a successful night of entertainment and cultural education for a noticeably diverse audience.

Hosted by BU members Nashid Islam and Mimi Rahman, the show set off on a musical and nationalistic tone. The Bengali national anthem, ‘Amar Shonar Bangla,’ was followed by an introductory speech by the Club’s President, Shafayet Reja and Vice President, Hridita Saha. The entertainment was to follow later in the night.

After several speeches, the stage really shone with ‘Hridoye Bangladesh,’ which means ‘Bangladesh is in our hearts.’ In classic New York City style, SBU students performed poetry in motion to convey the emotion delivered by the title.

For the Bengalis in the auditorium that night, it evoked patriotic feelings as both on- and off-campus students swayed to the rhythm. Saha, who created and choreographed this segment, did a splendid job providing such a visual and artistic dance form for the audience.

This was then followed by a poem, ‘King Kong Ain’t Got …’ by another SBU, Nobin Miah. Miah’s poem was blunt and explicit in content. Although students were able to catch on to the euphemisms and double entendres and laugh about it, the older generation in the room appeared lost.

The night also hosted some entertaining short plays. The first was a parody of a traditional Bengali story. Titled ‘Prem Keno Bedona,’ which translates to ‘Why Love Is So,’ the play was written and directed by Saha. The play centers around the lives of a couple, Kadhambari and Shohan. According to the program, ‘the most critical performance’ will be played by a tree (Rakibul Hoque), who undoubtedly cracked a smile on everyone’s face.

One of the most memorable performances that night included the youngest performer, Orna Khan. The 10 year-old danced to traditional Bengali music with the grace and expertise of a professional. The audience encouragingly clapped for her throughout the performance and, not surprisingly, delivered a standing ovation.

Other dances that stuck out that night were ‘Bhalobashar Rinik Jhinik’ or ‘Love’s Chimes’ performed by Zuma, Nusrat and accompanied by Faisal and Shohan. The dance uniquely combined hip-hop and modern dance to cater to the younger half of the audience.

Another dance, created by BU secretary Trisha Barua, featured hip-hop and pop music. It narrated a story about the life of a girl starting anew and a guy learning a lesson. It combined interactive audio and phone conversations and featured several Bengali songs in sequence choreographed by BU Event Coordinator, Maurin Huq.

The night also featured some impressive bands. The first to come on stage performed ‘Krishno Pokko,’ a song originally by a Bengali band, Bangla. The song was sung by Fahmida Sheuly and was accompanied with great synchronization by Manaf Assasin on the acoustic guitar, Kerman Mehta on the electric guitar and Tinath on the tabla, a percussion instrument.

The other band that really took hold of the stage was the off-campus group, Blazin Annex. Blazin Annex is an independent Bangla hip-hop group consisting of Dee Corter, AashiQ, Isiac, BangGully and Ah-Murda (Cholis Chor). The band performed from their album, ‘The Takeover,’ while incorporating SBU in the words.

The show ended on a pleasant note with a fashion show that featured traditional Bengali clothing, from sarees to salwaars for women and sherwanis to kurtas for men. The show was followed with a Bengali feast. The number of audience members never trickled down as around 400 people made their way to Ballroom A for the dinner. The show was a huge success simply for the hours of large-scale entertainment.