Beth O’Boyle picks up first victory as Stony Brook head coach

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team went 1-2 over Thanksgiving week thanks to a last minute 42-40 win on Wednesday over Robert Morris, putting it at 1-4 on the season. Junior Dani Klupenger’s three with 14 seconds left gave the Seawolves their first win of the season.

For the first win of Beth O’Boyle’s Stony Brook coaching career, SBU rallied from a 14 point deficit to take down the Robert Morris Colonials.

Stony Brook trailed by as many as 14 in the first half and by 10 at halftime before rallying to within 40-39 on a free throw from junior Tamiel Murray with 34 seconds left.

After a solid defensive possession, the Seawolves drew up a play out of a timeout to give Klupenger the game winning three.

Klupenger led with 13 points and Misha Horsey added 11. The Seawolves defense was the story of the game, holding Robert Morris to 28.3 percent from the field.

“What a tremendous team effort,” O’Boyle said. “We focused on doing the little things down the stretch, and that put us in position to win the game.”

On Friday night, SBU traveled to Value City Arena to take on the #18 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes.

The game ended in an 84-37 loss for the Seawolves, pushing them back to 0-3 on the road this year. OSU started off hot by taking a 25-5 lead, and they never looked back after that.

Junior Jessica Previlon led the Seawolves with seven points and five rebounds while junior Sam Landers chipped in with six points. Samantha Prahalis led Ohio State with 25 points and 11 assists.

On Monday night the Seawolves suffered a disappointing loss to George Mason after leading the entire game untill the last two minutes. Stony Brook lost 54-50 after some crucial miscues late in the game.

Junior Jessica Previlon added nine points and a game-high six rebounds, while freshman Kellie Krueger added six second half points, eight overall off the bench.

SBU led from the first points of the game until there was 1:40 left in the second half, which is when George Mason scored on a fast break layup off a turnover to make it 48-47 Patriots.

The Seawolves were not able to recover from the collapse, even though Klupenger hit a long three with two seconds to go to pull within 2, 52-50.

Stony Brook plays again on Wednesday, traveling to take on Sacred Heart. Game time is set for 7 p.m.