O’Boyle denied first win in final two minutes against George Mason

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team held the lead till the last two minutes in its 54-50 loss to the George Mason Patriots Monday night. Despite a team-high 16 points from junior Dani Klupenger, including five threes, the Seawolves fell to 0-3 on the season.

Junior Jessica Previlon added nine points and a game-high six rebounds while freshman Kellie Krueger added six second-half points, eight overall off the bench.

Stony Brook led from the first points of the game until 1:40 left in the second half when George Mason scored on a fast break layup off a turnover to make it 48-47 Patriots. The Seawolves were not able to recover from the collapse, even though Klupenger hit a long three with two seconds to go to pull within two, 52-50.

“We’re close,” Seawolves head coach Beth O’Boyle said. The first-year Stony Brook coach emphasized the little things post-game, such as closing out a game and starting halves well in order to break through.

Redshirt Senior Taleia Moton led George Mason finishing the game with 18 points and four assists.