Softball Goes 2-1 in Season Opener

The Softball season is in full swing, and despite the cold weather, the Stony Brook softball team was able to heat things up as they roared out the gates and started the season with a strong 3-1 record over the weekend, including a win in the Seahawk Classic Championship.

‘ ‘ In the season opener against Delaware State, freshman Sara Cerrone launched a grand slam to give a six-run first inning lead for the Seawolves. Despite the 6-point lead, Delaware State made a comeback, scoring 2 runs in the first inning, 3 runs in the fifth and 4 runs in the seventh as they beat SBU 9-8. Christina Voth lost in a relief appearance for Sarah Hoffman. After the game Voth’s record was 0-1.

‘ ‘ Despite the loss, the Seawolves came up strong in the following game with fourteen hits as they went on to slaughter Gardner Webb 12-3. Sara Cerrone added another homerun to her stats. Samantha Posey, Molly Kestranek, and Marissa Fleury each had one homerun. Kestranek finished the game with 3 hits. Kelsi Fanelli, Marissa Fleury, Sara Cerrone and Kelly Oberto all had two hits in the game. Christina Voth pitched for five innings and earned the win. After the game her record was 1-1.

‘ ‘ Following their win, the Seawolves faced Wilmington and Hampton, and they beat both. They beat Wilmington by a score of 5-3 and they won a close one against Hampton by a score of 2-1.

‘ ‘ Against UNC Wilmington, Alyssa Struzenberg picked up her first collegiate win and Samantha Posey hit a two-run homer for the Seawolves.

‘ ‘ In the game against Hampton, pitcher Sara Hoffman picked up her first win of the season with some help from Victoria Kavitsky and Ashley Westphal who had back to back doubles in the fifth inning to give SBU their first run. Crista Cerrone scored with two outs and the bases filled in the bottom of the seventh to beat Hampton 2-1.

‘ ‘ Winning three games in a row with a 3-1 record, the Seawolves carried their momentum into the Seahawk championship classic. However, the rain halted play during the game. The game was played against Gardner Webb but after two rain delays, officials decided that the game was rained out. Despite the Seawolves losing 10-0 in the first inning of the game, they were named tournament champions because of their 3-1 record against their earlier opponents.

‘ ‘ The Seawolves will try to carry their winning ways when they face UNC Wilmington at the FIU Blue-Gold Tournament in Miami, FL, on March 3.