Men’s Tennis Sweeps Lehigh, tops Bucknell in away games

The Stony Brook men’s tennis team gained two straight victories as they swept Lehigh, 7-0, on Friday afternoon and defeated Bucknell, 6-1 on Saturday afternoon, in away games in their trip to Pennsylvania. With these two wins, the Seawolves extend their winning streak to three games and improve their record to 3-3 overall.

In the match against Lehigh, the Seawolves took an early lead as they clinched the doubles point after Nihal Advani and Quirijin Van Veen outplayed their opponent at No.1 doubles, 8-3 and Illan Shvartz and Jon Epstein bested their opponent at No.3 doubles with 8-6. After claiming the doubles point, the Seawolves never looked back, won all singles matches to sweep Lehigh 7-0. At No.1 spot, Van Veen won with 7-5, 6-2, Advani at No.2 outlasted his opponent, 6-0, 4-6, 6-2, Youssef Fassi-Fehri dominated at No. 3, 6-1, 6-2, Shvartz won at No. 4, 6-1, 6-4, Epstein won at No. 5, 8-4, and Alex Markovich complete the sweep with an 8-4 win at the No. 6 spot.

In the match against Bucknell, after dropping two out of three double matches and falling into a 0-1 disadvantage, the Seawolves rallied from behind by swept all six single matches and earned a ‘W’ on their record. The Seawolves started their comeback when No.1 single, Van Veen, defeated Ira Reibeisen, 7-5, 6-2. No.2 single, Advani, built the momentum as he topped Ryan Sandburg, 6-4, 6-2 and push the Seawolves to the lead. Next up at No.3 spot, Fassi-Fehri won with 6-2, 6-2. Shvartz at No.4 singles dominated his opponent with 6-3, 6-0 and clinched the game. Epstein’s win at No.5, 8-4, Markovich’s win at No. 6, 8-6, completed the single sweep.
    The Seawolves will be back in action on March, 3, when they travel to Cornell to take on Buffalo.