Track Caps off Season at America East

Boston, Mass. – Men and Women’s Indoor Track traveled to Boston University (BU) for their final meet this Friday and Saturday. Several players recorded their best performances of the season and a Stony Brook (SB) record was broken in the process. Highlighting the weekend was freshman Tim Hodge, who won the 3000 meter and captured the America East Rookie of the Year award.

Hodge took the 3000 meter Conference title in a time of 8:20.43.’ He also anchored the Distance Medley team that also included Alex Felce, Mubaarak Muhammad, and Daire Bermingham. Their combined time of 9:55.09 bested the’ Seawolves’ previous record by 7 seconds, and gave them’ second place behind Boston University.

In individual events, Muhammad grabbed’ second in the triple jump, with a distance of 14.23 m, and was followed by Rahmel Huffman’s’ third place finish in the high jump, hitting 1.98 m. Shaun Krawitz and Zach Tyerman placed’ third and sixth, respectively, in the 5000 meter run, contributing to the team’s total 64 points. This placed them seventh overall, in a field of nine.

On the Women’s side, Laura Huet took’ fourth in the mile run with a time of 4:58.91, along with Lisa Voltaire’s’ fifth place finish in the 1000 m (2:56.59). Kerry Salzano reached a personal best with her 10:16.47 finish in the 3000 m, good for fifth place. Natalie Jasmin also recorded a personal best with her performance in the 400 m (58.17 seconds). Also placing for SB were Christina Suthakar, Ruth Ruivivar and Liz Carlson. The Women’s team combined for 32 points, finishing eighth.