Men’s Swimming Finishes Third at America East

The Stony Brook women’s swimming and diving team placed sixth with 264 points in what appeared to be a lengthy 2007 America East Championship meet on Feb. 11. Held in Boston, the Championship witnessed the prowess of some surprising players, including Rebecca Sayles and Lucy Liu who have each faced some difficulty this season in placing first consistently.

Sayles and Liu placed 10th and 12th in the 200-yard backstroke. As always, Hailey Lewandowski continued to grab the audience’s attention by dominating diving and finishing fifth in the 3 meter dive with a score of 246.90. Brittany Whipple, who has had an impressive record this season, finished fourth in the 100-yard backstroke. Courtney Teague, who has competed less frequently but still successfully, placed seventh in the 100-yard freestyle.

The men’s swimming and diving team, which has been the stronger contender this season, finished third overall with a score of 506.5. The SBU Athlete of the Week, sophomore Jon Sigurosson, broke his 100-yard backstroke record from last year. With a time of’ 56.04, Sigurosson brought the Seawolves closer to a victory. Sigurosson had earlier broken his 100-yard breastroke record of 56.33 from last year by finishing with a time of 56.04.

In the longest match of 1650-yard freestyle, SBU’s Bryce Cullinane and Patrick Dolan brought home some points. What was impressive was the following fourth place finish of Raphael Labour in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:54.03. The men placed in the top-16 in the same event, notably Ruslan Safarov, and Ray Sato.

Others who placed in the top-16 in the 100-yard freestyle, were Chris Pai, Alex Kissel, Matt Descovich, Dan Piastuck and Omer Ozcan. Vladimir Sreckovic, who has had little competitive time this season, finished sixth place in the 200-yard breastroke with a time of 2:09.09. Both Sigurosson and Eben Coenen also posted points in this event.

Overall, the men’s team has had a stronger showing this season. But with the notably improved performance of the women’s team, a lot of future wins are expected. The loss of Lewandowski, who will be graduating this year, might prove an impediment in reaching this goal. But given the young status of the team and its consistent improvement, better meets are in store. As for the men’s team, their prospect of placing first in the next Championship is definitely a possibility.