Women’s Basketball Continues Impressive Conference Play

While the campus grounds were freezing over with ice, the Stony Brook women’s basketball team was turning up the heat inside the Stony Brook University (SBU) Arena. Four different players scored in double figures as the Seawolves defeated the New Hampshire Wildcats by a score of 71-64.

With this victory, the team’s 10th in their last’ 11 contests, the Seawolves’ record improved to 14-10 overall and 10-2 in the conference, while the loss dropped New Hampshire to 8-15 overall, and 3-8 in the conference.

‘I was pleased with the way we played defense tonight,’ said head coach, Maura McHugh. ‘Conference games in February are always tough and this game was no different.’

For the first 15 minutes of the game, SB dominated both ends of the court. With 5:09 remaining in the half, Leah Getz scored a layup which put the Seawolves up 30-17. Despite a combined 22 first half points between Getz and Mykeema Ford, the Wildcats were able to close the half on a 10-2 run and went into the intermission only down 32-27. New Hampshire shot only 25 percent from the field in the first half, but the late run and their 10-11 performance on the foul line kept them in the contest.

The Wildcats came out ready to play when the game resumed as they scored the first two hoops of the half which led to a Seawolves timeout. Immediately following the timeout, the Wildcats took their first lead of the game at 33-32, when Chrissy Hall sank two free throws barely three minutes into the half.

After SB lost their lead, the team appeared to wake up and they returned to their first half form. The Seawolves went on a 14-2 run which gave them back control of the game. New Hampshire fought hard to close the gap that was created during the SBU run, but the closest they came was 57-54. Ultimately, the Seawolves held on for another win in the America East Conference.

Getz, named the America East co-player of the game, and Ford both finished the game with 16 points. Kelly Watson contributed with 12 points while Jessica Smith added 10 points. Danielle Clark scored 25 points and grabbed 10 rebounds during the contest. Her performance got her America East co-player of the game honors.

The Seawolves will look to continue their winning ways next Wednesday, Feb. 21, when they go on the road to square off against a tough Binghamton squad. Tip-off is set for 7:00 PM.