Women’s Basketball Gets Back on Track, Drops UMBC

Stony Brook, NY- Last Wednesday, Feb. 7, Stony Brook netted a double digit victory over UMBC, 68-53. Led by Kelly Watson’s 29 points, SB took their 8th win in 9 games and extended their dominating play over the conference. Overall, their record moves up to 12-10, and 8-2 against conference opponents.

‘Kelly provided a huge spark,’ assistant coach Michelle Cherry said, ‘and we were able to get a lot of easy shots. It wasn’t the prettiest game, but we shot really well. It was a good win.’ UMBC’s tendency to run the clock down on nearly every possession resulted in a ‘strange tempo’ according to coach Cherry, as ‘they tried to slow us down.’ UMBC’s style resulted in fewer possessions and a slower game, but failed to control SB’s high scoring offense, enough to leave with the win.

Aside from Watson’s 29 points, Jessica Smith, Mykeema Ford, and Leah Getz all scored in double figures, with Getz also grabbing 13 rebounds and handing out 6 assists. SB only played 8 players in the game, but still had the energy to hit over 50% from the field. The first 2:55 of the game came to an 11-11 tie, off a 3 pointer by UMBC’s Heather Luttrell. Until the end of the half, the Seawolves seized control, and managed to take a 36-26 lead going into the break.

After entering the second half with a 9-0 run, UMBC was countered by strong defense and good shooting by the home team, the Seawolves. After the two traded baskets over the next couple of minutes, SB put together a decisive run where they outscored UMBC 19-7. With only 4:04 remaining, the lead left SB with a 14 point cushion that essentially sealed the win.

UMBC’s Amanda Robinson and Kristin Drabyn each scored 13 points in the team’s final contest against SB. The Terriers record now stands at 10-13 overall and 2-7 in the conference. The Seawolves play against Binghampton next week on Wednesday, Feb. 21. Game time is at 7:00 PM.