Stony Brook Joins Recyclemania Craze

RecycleMania, now in its seventh year, is becoming a large part of colleges nationwide, including Stony Brook University (SBU). ‘ It began in Feb. 2001 between Ohio University and Miami University to see which university could recycle the most. ‘ In 2004, RecycleMania teamed with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), expanding to include different category contests.’ SBU will be the only school in Long Island to enter. ‘

SBU has enhanced its mission statement beyond RecycleMania by promoting its own event called Getting Caught GREEN Handed, where officials canvass college and write ‘tickets’ to students who are caught recycling. ‘

‘For the first time, Stony Brook will campaign and inform students because it’s hard to make it a habit of recycling,’ said Russ Cannova, the Recycling Center’s Superintendent.

Schools can choose to participate in the Per Capita Classic or Waste Minimization. ‘ SBU has chosen to compete in the Grand Champion, Waste Minimization and the Per Capita Classic, among others. ‘

Per Capita Classic is the accustomed contest where schools attempt to collect the most recyclables. ‘ Collections can include the entire campus or a specific area. ‘

The Waste Minimization contest speaks for itself, because it teaches the fundamentals of reducing and reusing. Participation in the Per Capita and the Waste Minimization competitions qualifies schools to become the RecycleMania Grand Champion, which means the champion has the highest recycling rate by the larger part of the RecycleMania admissible materials derived.

All schools are required to submit measurements on a weekly basis, through an online reporting form, which is due every Wednesday during the period of the competition.

SBU has joined RecycleMania along with only 201 colleges throughout the nation. ‘

‘We’re spreading the word by telling people to donate the ink jet and toner cartridges and to use mugs instead of disposable cups,’ said Jen Myatt, Outreach Coordinator at Central Services.

Recycled paper produces less trash and lowers taxes and disposal costs. Recycling paper uses about 55% less water, which conserves valuable forests, reduces water pollution by 35% and air pollution by 74%. ‘

RecycleMania’s success can be seen by the increase in student involvement on campus, aiming for waste reduction. In this way, students from across the country successfully maintain waste management. Furthermore, student awareness is strengthened and victors earn prestigious awards, trophies and certificates, not to mention bragging rights.