Water Leak Floods Bursar

On Jan. 29, Stony Brook University’s Bursar office faced a water leakage at approximately 4:00 AM. Services at the Bursar and Check Disbursement windows, which are located in the Admissions building, were temporarily relocated to the Student Accounts office in the same location. Services were permanently restored at 10:00 AM on Tuesday, Feb. 6.

According to University Media Relations Officer, Patrick Calabria, ‘the leak began when a pipe elbow burst.’ File cabinets were placed in the lobby and the area surrounding them was barricaded. According to Calabria, ‘there was no loss.’

The leakage led to a prolonged waiting time in lines due to fewer serving windows. As of 12:45 PM on Feb. 6,’ Bursar was still in the process of moving. According to an employee in the Student Accounts office, ‘phones to Bursar are being redirected to Student Accounts.’

For the most part, students were not inconvenienced because of the administration’s swift response.

‘It is not a big deal because you can always make payments and things online,’ said William Shum, a sophomore at SBU.

The extremely cold temperature has caused more than one burst pipe, as most recently seen in the water shortage in Tabler.

‘These occurrences most often cannot be foreseen, and are a fact of life in any home, business, or institution,’ said Calabria.