Teacher of the Week

Before entering Stony brook University as an undergraduate student, Professor Lester Paldy served as a captain in the U.S. Marine Corps. He is currently the Director of Technology and Society at the Center for Science, Mathematics and Technology.

A truly innovative man, Paldy has received several national awards for teaching and editing scientific journals. He was appointed Distinguished Service Professor in Technology and Society in 1990, and served in the U.S. Delegation to Nuclear Testing Talks with the Soviet Union in Geneva, Switzerland, from 1990 to 1992. He currently serves as the editor of the Journal of College Science Teaching and was also a member of the U.S. Delegation on Nuclear Nonproliferation to the United Nations in 1990 to 1992.

Some of the significant changes Professor Paldy has been fortunate enough to witness during his years of teaching at SBU were ‘The ever-changing diversity of the faculty and student body.’ Throughout the years the University has developed a vibrant population. He has discovered a rich variety of people, both in the student body and faculty. This change has made for a wonderful assortment and an enriched educational environment.

Paldy has had a large amount of students born in other countries. Another difference he has been around to witness included the size of the University. He has observed the increased amount of activities and additional aspects available to choose from here at SBU. When he first began teaching the school was small, there were only a small amount of seminars and not as many activities.

Paldy also stated that there are also more international students in the undergraduate classes compared to years ago. He felt that this significant change has greatly added to the dynamic of the University and to the campus as well. ‘There is more of a mix involved in research and teaching has been enhanced because of that,’ said Paldy. In regards to the change in attitudes of the students over the years, he has found that more students have become more interested in getting involved in research, which to him, is very important.

Professor Paldy has certainly been a prominent attribute to the University’s dynamic staff. He hopes to see a continued emphasis on research in teaching and a general continuation of prosperity and overall development. Paldy envisions the campus as a flagship to future advancements in research.

He advises students to definitely take advantage in the willingness to engage in research. ‘You have to get involved, you can’t be a shrinking violet, simply waiting for opportunities to come your way. You have to make your own way and make your own opportunities. Sometimes opportunities may fall into your lap, but overall you have to seek for what’s out there. That may include knocking on a professor’s door and asking about what research opportunities are out there for you to get involved in.’

Paldy gives the same advice given to him growing up, which was to basically ‘get out there and engage in opportunities.’ He says this to the many students who are involved in Physics and sciences all together.

We appreciate professor Paldy’s innovative accomplishments and noteworthy attributes he has made throughout his career. Its dedicated professors, like Lester Paldy, that makes SBU a pioneering institution of higher learning.