Women’s Basketball Wins Seven Straight

Stony Brook University (SBU) Women’s Basketball team conquered with a 64-57 win, giving them their seventh straight victory on Wednesday. This win advanced the Seawolves to an overall 11-9, 7-1 record in the America East Conference. This defeat has left Binghamton with a 7-14, 3-5 profile.

Mykeema Ford strongly led the team in the first with 16 points .The first half of the game included several offensive and defensive rebounds made by Jessica Smith. The performance started off with overall consistency. According to the SB Official Athlete Site, head coach Maura McHugh stated ‘I was proud of our determination down the stretch; we were able to hold off a tough opponent with our poise and persistence.’ The Seawolves led by nine points with’ a score of 27-18 at 5:24, with the help of a jump shot made by Ford.

However, Binghamton picked up the pace and showed their skills at the beginning of the second half, leaving the Seawolves to slightly fall’ behind. It was a tied game at 42 on the scoreboard and 11:49 on the clock. The Seawolves continued to stand their ground and sustained momentum throughout the second. Despite the foul difficulties, Smith gracefully hit two free throws giving Stonybrook a 54-50 advance with 4:07 remaining. The Seawolves went on an 8-3 run which led them to victory and eventually finish the game with a 64-57 win.

Ford, who was the America East co-player of the game, wrapped up the evening with a total of 27 points and 2 assists. Smith totaled 15 points and 3 assists, while Watson added a total of 9 points to the game.

Laine Kurnpiece, of Binghamton, was named America East co-player of the night and totaled a number of 16 points. Brianna Thompson had 15 points and Laura Sario added 13 for the evening.