The Knights of Prosperity

“The Knights of Prosperity” is a comical tale about a group of average Joes set out to rob the famous rock icon Mick Jagger. The television series plays every Wednesday at 8:30 PM on ABC. The show, starring Donal Logue as the leader of the group, sets out to depict the work of the so-called “Robin Hoods of the 21st Century.” Six affable individuals who have never shoplifted now yearn to make their dreams come true.

Their first order of business is to obtain a copy of the key to Mick Jagger’s $52 million apartment. They soon find themselves in a sea of confusion, not knowing how to go about the deed. In the following episodes, after getting the key, they go to the apartment and plan to rob the place. Upon getting there, they find that not only is there the conventional lock on the door, but also a security code, a thumb print sensor and burly armed guards at the end of the journey.

The group decides to send in Rockefeller (Kevin Michael Richardson), a guard at a warehouse, to apply for a job as a security guard for Mick Jagger. By setting up an inside man and contacting all of the individuals who work for Mick Jagger, the gang gets closer day by day to robbing the rich rock star.

The main character, Eugene Gurkin, played by Donal Logue, is a janitor whose dreams have always exceeded his means. After being fed up with his dead end job, he is ignited with passion to rob this celebrity and make his dream of opening a bar come true.

Other characters such as Gourishankar (Maz Jorani), a taxi driver, and Esperanza Villalobos (Sofia Vergara), a diner waitress in Queens, all want something more that will either make them winners or allow them to take control of their own lives. Every character has his or her story to tell. For example, Francis “Squatch” Squacieri (Lenny Venito) is a janitor alongside Eugene who wants to provide a better life for his wife and children.

“The Knights of Prosperity” can be viewed by individuals of all ages. It is a comical series whose purpose is purely to entertain. The dialogue, filled with humorous insults and jokes between the characters, adds to the enjoyment of the episode. It is analogous to watching an “Ocean’s Eleven” sequel filled with disaster and utter chaos. Their scheme to steal from the rich and give to the poor, in this case to themselves, seems impossible because of their lack of experience. However, at the end of the day, the viewer sees their progress and wonders if this could ever happen.

The different characters that come from diverse backgrounds come together as a family as the series progresses. Through their plan, the characters learn to mingle with and understand each other. This illustrates how there is something bigger waiting for them that they don’t realize. By being part of this so-called “gang,” the characters are able to find hope, gain self-esteem and self-confidence.

This show is appealing to the audience not only because of its storyline, but also because the viewer wants to know more at the end of an episode. One thing that is on everyone’s mind is when (and if) they will be able to rob the Mick Jagger’s tightly secured luxury apartment. For that we will just have to wait until the next episode airs on ABC.