Dental care for a cause

The Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine pulled together eight dental students, two general practice residents, one hygienist and one staff member to provide the homeless with dental services in early August.

The “Stand Up for the Homeless” event, sponsored by the office of Suffolk County Executive, helped provide more than two hundred in need with free dental care services and treatment. This is one out of several events that the school takes part in throughout the year to assist the community.

In the past, they have partaken in everything from oral health education in schools to assisting the elderly in senior centers. At this particular event, the school provided recipients with toothbrushes, paste, floss, and mouthwash.  They also assisted the recipients with dental information and how to obtain affordable care.

“Their awareness of the need for oral health education and dental services for the underserved population,” said Margaret E. Bakos, the director of community service for the School of Dental Medicine.