Stony Brook, NY

Women’s Basketball Runs Over Albany

In one of their most complete offensive efforts of the season, Stony Brook saw four players net double figures in their 82-73 win on Saturday Jan. 27th over visiting Albany. Led by Jessica Smith’s 24 points and 12 rebounds and Mykeema Ford’s 21 points, the Seawolves overcame a slow first half to take away the win.

Albany was led by guards Sherri Mikus with 17 points and Amanda Ward with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Gia Sanders came off the bench to score 14 points and 3 blocks. For the Seawolves, Leah Getz and Kelly Watson both had double figures, while Dana Ferraro scored 9 points and 10 boards.

With 9:54 left in the second half, Leah Getz’ lay-in put Stony Brook up 59-58. Over the next three minutes Stony Brook would outscore Albany 9-2, giving them a comfortable lead which they never let slip away. Albany would threaten again when they got as close as 5 points with 2:40 left, but a jumper by Ford put a hold on the visitor’s rally.

Albany did themselves in by turning the ball over 22 times and allowing the Seawolves to control the boards, who out-rebounded the Great Danes by 9. In spite of this, Albany managed to hit 51.9% from the field. Stony Brook only had 14 turnovers and hit 16-17 free throws in the second half to ensure the victory.

To start the game, Stony Brook allowed an early 17-7 advantage as Sherri Mikus connected for 6 points and dished out 2 assists. After a free throw by the Great Danes, Stony Brook would surge forward with a 12-0 run of their own before the visitors called a time out. The remainder of the half would play out as a series of mini-runs that eventually gave Albany a 45-38 lead going into the half.

The win gives Stony Brook a 10-9 overall and 6-1 conference record, while Albany falls to 7-13 overall and 3-4 in the conference.

Come see the Seawolves in action against Binghamton on Wednesday, January 31. The game starts at 7:00 PM at the Sports Complex.