Women’s Basketball Over the Break

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Winter vacation is a time for relaxation and recuperation from an exhausting semester of college life. However, for the Stony Brook Women’s Basketball team, this break consisted of a full slate of games, which contained both a 3 game losing streak and a 4 game winning streak.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ To begin the time off from school, the team pulled out an eight point win against a tough Quinnipiac squad (87-79). Senior Forward, Mykeema Ford, led the team in scoring and had 23 points in the contest. At this point in the season, the Seawolves seemed to be heading down the right road. This victory was the team’s second in a row, and improved their record to 4-6 for the season.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The brief winning streak quickly came to an end five days later, when Stony Brook fell to Sacred Heart 77-65. This defeat was followed with two more losses to St. John’s and Hartford, respectively. During this losing streak, the Seawolves had three different players lead the team in scoring. Jessica Smith had a team high, 19 points, in the Sacred Heart game. Kelly Watson had 22 points in the loss to St. John’s and Mykeema Smith dropped 19 points against Hartford.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ In each of these contests Stony Brook had several opportune chances to seize the momentum and, ultimately, the lead, but each of these chances were disrupted by the opposition, thus resulting in the losses.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ With the season beginning to slip away, the Seawolves needed to enter the UMBC game with virtually a ‘must win’ attitude. And the team did just that. They played tough defense and efficient offense for the entire game. Their efforts resulted in a 72-60 victory, the team’s first conference win of the season, and an end to their 3 game losing streak. ‘I was proud of the way we played defense today after the loss to Hartford,’ said head coach Maura McHugh. ‘We were able to get a hand in their face, making it difficult for them every trip down the floor.’

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The win against UMBC seemed to ignite a fire under the team. In the’ 10 days following the UMBC game, Stony Brook won by double figures against Boston University, New Hampshire, and Maine. This 4-game winning streak was led by Mykeema Ford, who scored 29, 32, 22, and 27 points in the four contests. In addition, Jessica Smith’s all around play throughout this two week period earned her the honor of being named the America East Player of the Week. This was the third time this season that Smith was given this honor.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Now that the rollercoaster winter break has ended, the Women’s Basketball team finds themselves sitting in’ second place in the conference with a 4-1 record. The team seems to finally be playing the type of basketball that might just get them a bid into the NCAA tournament this coming March. The team’s next game is scheduled for Wednesday Jan. 24 against the Catamounts of Vermont.