Volleyball trounces Fordham in five sets

On Wednesday, Stony Brook senior Alicia Nelson showed why she was able to record 1,000 career kills with her season-high 25 kill performance in a five set win over Fordham University. Sophomore Evann Slaughter added a career-high 22 kills as she was able to lead the Seawolves to wins in the second and third sets.

For their third straight five-set win, senior Kelsey Sullivan had 49 assists and eight digs, while freshman Taylor Gillie chipped in with a season-high nine kills and 11.5 points. “She came up big today,” said head coach Deborah Matejka-DesLauriers, “especially for a freshman.”

Freshman Laura Hathaway added 13 digs for the Seawolves.

The two teams were evenly matched throughout most of the night. The teams traded the first two sets, both times ending within five points. The third set was just as close until Slaughter came up with a clutch kill to tie the game up at 24, and the Seawolves were able to close out the set a few points later.

It looked as if SBU would win in four sets after taking an early set lead, but the Fordham Rams were able to string together at one time 8 out of 11 points and take the set to force a fifth set.

The decisive fifth set was tight early, but Nelson had her last few kills at the right time, finishing the game with her 25th kill.

After the game, Matejka-DesLauriers said about the upcoming games: “If we could play like that, besides some of the mistakes, we’ll be fine.”