Women’s Soccer

A stinging loss in the America East championship game,and the resulting second place conference finish, remained fresh in the mind of the Seawolves as they began preseason preparations in early August.’

Having lost captains Brook Barbuto and Trine Allenberg, veteran head coach Sue Ryan has added seven freshmen to the roster.’ The recruiting class included two 2009 ESPNRISE.com Spring Girls’ All-America selections in Taryn Schoenbeck (Newark, DE.) and Meghan Gilley (Macungie, PA.).

Returning players include standout senior goalkeeper Marisa Viola (Cutchogue, N.Y.). Viola started 15 games for the Seawolves in 2008, and was named to the All-America East first team.’ She also collected America East Goalkeeper of the Year honors, and finished sixth in the nation, with 7.56 saves per game.

Also returning is sophomore midfielder Colleen McKenna (Manorville, N Y.).’ Last year’s America East Rookie of the Year, she started 15 games,and led the league with nine goals and 21 points and joined Viola on the All-America East first team.

The calendar will do the Seawolves no favors this season.’ After opening at home against Iona on August 21, the ladies face a difficult non-conference schedule, including trips to Rutgers and North Carolina State, then finish with eight conference games in the space of a little over three weeks. They wrap up the regular season at Maine, on Oct. 22.

Bottom Line:’ ‘ With plenty of depth surrounding McKenna and Viola, the Seawolves are sure to be a contender for the conference crown, and an NCAA tournament berth.

Game to Watch:’ The Seawolves will be looking for revenge, and the conference table will be taking shape, when they host defending America East champs Boston University at 7 p.m. on Oct. 15.