Stony Brook Men’s Defeats Boston University

In Thursday’s home game vs. conference rival Boston University, the Seawolves pulled out a decisive overtime win, 68-62. After the Terriers missed a critical free-throw in the last minute of regulation time, Stony Brook’s Ricky Lucas nailed a jumper with time expiring, tying the game at 49 a piece. In the overtime period, the Seawolves took control and never gave up after taking the lead.

Mitchell Beauford led the strong play in overtime with 5 points and an assist that led to a three point play by Mike Popoko. The Seawolves scored on a couple lay-ups and free throws, pressuring BU to keep up. In the final minute of overtime Boston U. was as close as 2 points, but the Seawolves denied their attempts to come any closer by converting on their free throws and playing solid defense.

Overall, Stony Brook was lead by Mitchell Beauford’s 18 points and 5 assists and Solomon Bamiro’s 15 points and 4 rebounds off the bench. Emanuel Neto also reached double figures with 10 points and 3 rebounds, as part of a strong all around team effort.

For Boston University, Corey Lowe had game highs with 20 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists. He was helped by teammate Brian Macon who shot 50 percent from behind the arc, with 12 points and 5 rebounds. For the game, the Seawolves shot only 42.6% from the field but hit 15 of 19 free throws (74.3%) to seal the win. They also forced 20 turnovers and held Boston U. to just 37.8% shooting.

The game started with the Seawolves and the Terriers playing out the first half exchanging basket after basket, but Stony Brook lead from the 17.30 mark until the end of the half. Stony Brook had 17 points off the bench to give them their 28- 25 lead going into the break. The win gives Stony Brook a 7-11 record and 2-4 for the America East conference.

The Seawolves have struggled as of late, winning only one of their past 6 games, so the win was critical to stay on pace with the rest of their conference. Come help support the men’s team in their next home game vs. the Maine Black Bears on Thursday, January 25th. The game starts at 7:00pm.