Men’s Swimming Wins Over Lafayette

The women’s swimming team had a dismal showing at the Jan. 17 meet against Binghamton and Lafayette. The team fell to Binghamton 83-57, and to Lafayette 93-45. The Seawolves now stand 2-6 on the season, and 0-3 in the America East Conference.

The surprise of the night was Lucy Liu, who won the 100-yard backstroke in 1:01.56, very closely beating Lafayette’s Shelby Grabowski’s time of 1:01.84. Liu added to her glory with another first place win in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:21.18, beating Lafayette’s Michelle Oswald’s time of 2:16.78.

Hailey Lewandowski was no surprise, continuing her strong season performance. She won the one meter dive with a score of 247.75. Binghamton’s Katherine Hassfurter who was a close second with a score of 236.10. Hassfurter barely beat Lewandowski in the three meter dive, scoring 263.40 to Lewandowski’s 244.30.

The men’s swim team had more wins. The Seawolves beat Lafayette 71-69, but fell to Binghamton. The Seawolves stand at 6-3 on the season, and at 2-1 in the America East Conference.

The ‘A’ relay team, composed of Raphael Labour, Jon Sigurosson, Alexei Smirnov and Alex Kissel came in second in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:35.75 to Binghamton’s team ‘A,’ which had a time of 1:34.90.

Labour continued to impress with his strong season performance, although he came in second in all his meets. He came in second place in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 52.79, missing first place by less than a second to Binghamton’s Brian Koizim, who had a time of 52.08. Labour came in second again to Koizim in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:59.79. Koizim was distinctly ahead with a time of 1:53.13.

The highlights of the night were Sigurosson, who came in first place in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 57.91, Yoni Eldor who also posted first with a time of 22.85 in the mixed 50-yard freestyle. Ruslan Safarov also won the 200-yard Individual Medley with a time of 2:07.90.

Men’s diving division also changed gears to win first place in the one meter dive, with Julian Acevado earning a score of 279.60.

The Seawolves ended with a close win and a strong finish to win first and second place in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Team ‘A’ came first with a time of 1:27.57 and team ‘B’ followed closely with a time of 1:29.83.

The women’s team hosted Vermont on Saturday, Jan. 20. The men’s team faces Fairfield next’ on Jan. 27 at 1:00 PM.