Volleyball finishes strong on roadtrip

Stony Brook’s women’s volleyball team worked hard on the final day of their tournament to reach a repeat performance of last weekend, finishing at 2-1 with two tournament All-Stars. Senior Alicia Nelson and freshman Laura Hathaway lead the team back from their first match losing to Bowling Green Falcons in straight sets.

Over the three games Nelson tallied 41 kills and is on her way to being only the eighth player in school history to achieve the milestone of 1,000 kills. Hathaway earned her spot on the All-Tournament team by racking up a season best 26 digs in the win over Bucknell.

The first match of the tournament versus Bowling Green on Friday, the Seawolves went down early losing the first 9 points of the opening set. The next two sets were closer during which the Seawolves lead the second set 12-7, but the Falcons proved to be too much.

However, the  team was able to bounce back quickly on Saturday. Both matches were very tight and it took SBU five sets in both to secure the win. In the first match against the Coppin State Eagles, CSU took the first two sets and almost took the third before a block from sophomore Kaitlin Costello gave the Seawolves the lead for good. After winning the fourth set, SBU needed all 16 of Nelson’s kills to win the fifth with her last clinching the game.

Stony Brook won the last match of the tournament versus Bucknell in almost the opposite way. Taking a 2-0 lead after dominating the first two sets, then losing a heartbreaking third set after a late 20-15 lead,  but thanks to Alicia Nelson accounting for kills on five straight points the Seawolves were able to edge out the win.

The Seawolves return to action on Wednesday, hosting Fordham at 7 p.m.