Men’s Swimming Wins Over King’s Point

The men’s swimming team went against King’s Point on Dec. 9 in an away game. The Seawolves won 130-109 against The United States Merchant Marines Academy in a heated match. Currently, SBU stands 5-2, having won the last four games in a row.

The event began well with the SBU’s team ‘A’ taking first place in the 200-yard medley relay. The event, spearheaded by Ruslan Safarov, Jon Sigurosson, Alexei Smirnov and Alexander Kissel, had a time of 1:37.37 against USMMA’s 1:40.02. Kissel was also impressive when he won first place in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 22.02. He was followed by teammate Ozcan Omer, who had a close time of 22.10.

Raphael Labour continued his season’s strong performance by winning first place in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:47.32, beating USMMA’s time of 1:49.64. He also won first place in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 52.57, beating USMMA’s time of 55.24. Sigurosson also placed first in the 50-yard butterfly with a time of 54.07 beating USMMA’s time of 54.48.

Unfortunately, USMMA took first, second and third place in the 1000-yard freestyle, and taking first and second place in the 200 yard Individual Medley. The spirit was raised with Byrce Cullinane winning first place in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:00.77, beating USMMA’s time of 5:00.82.

Alexander Demin had an impressive first place win in the 1 meter diving with a score of 188.25, and in the 3 meter with a score of 179.90.

The Seawolves ended the meet with a first-place win in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Team ‘A,’ composed of Jake Dorfman, Ozcan, Kissel and Labour, had a time 1:27.65 beating USMMA’s time of 1:31.50.