Women’s volleyball impresses in CCSU tournament

The Seawolves snap a four-game losing streak. (Lauren Gantner/The Statesman).

Senior Alicia Nelson and freshman Laura Hathaway gained spots on the Central Connecticut State University Invitational All-Tournament team, while leading the Seawolves to a 2-1 record over the weekend. The women’s volleyball team won their first two matches of the tournament, beating Bucknell on Friday and then following with a win over St. Peter’s Saturday morning. Stony Brook lost in four sets to the host CCSU Blue Devils to break their win streak.

Nelson tallied an impressive 42 kills over the three games. While Hathaway had a set winning ace against Bucknell on Friday and posted a career high of 23 digs in a losing effort against CCSU. Junior Greta Strenger also added strong showings with 8 kills in the first match and a season high of 13 versus CCSU.

The opening match of the Seawolves’ weekend was close  all the way through but SBU was able to edge out a win. They were ahead from the start in the first two sets, and in the third set the Seawolves came back to win behind the play of seniors Kelsey Sullivan and Alicia Nelson. SBU dominated from the start on Saturday against St. Peter’s and controlled the first two sets of the match staying ahead by at least four.

In the third game of the weekend, the Seawolves started of poorly in the first two sets, and were knocked off by the Blue Devils. The third set was close until the end but a Strenger kill put SBU back into the match. The fourth set was close until CCSU rattled off a streak of points to take control of the set and finally the match.

The Seawolve’s next matches are next weekend at the Bucknell invitational.