Campus Deals with Erratic Weather

One morning is sunny, with mild temperatures, and the next day the campus feels like an icebox. The mercury barely gets above the freezing mark and everyone is asking, ‘What is up with this weather?’

Fall is full of changing weather patterns, and although it might feel like winter out there, winter does not officially start until Dec. 22.

As the days get shorter, Earth’s surface soaks up less sunlight, bringing cooler temperatures. The farther north you go, closer to the North Pole, the less sunlight you get. This is because the Earth is tilted away from the sun. In addition, this means that the Artic is even colder than the Northeast. As polar fronts sweep over the Northeast, they pull in super cooled air, dropping temperatures dramatically.

Right now, Long Island is receiving about nine and a half hours of sunlight, with an average high of 45 degrees and an average low of 29 degrees. As Dec. 22 approaches, the amount of sunlight will decrease, as well as the temperatures. So bundle up because winter is on the way!