CEWIT Plans Int’l Conference for Jan ’07

The Center of Excellence in Wireless and Information Technology (CEWIT) is in the process of organizing its fourth conference on technical series at Stony Brook University. CEWIT did not have one this year. Next year’s conference will take place on Jan. 18 in the Charles B. Wang Center, and will host paper presentations, as well as speakers from major technology experts.

Previous conferences attracted participants from both academic and business communities around the globe. The Center, which is a 250 million dollar government, industry and academic partnership claims to ‘lead the next wave of the wireless and information technology revolution.’ The annual conference brings together academic and business institutions to explore new technologies and better business potentials.

According to their website, all abstracts ‘will be reviewed by the conference Program Committee.’ The full day conference will feature ‘two parallel tracks, Emerging Technologies and Solutions and Services, and include laboratory tours, industry exhibits and research poster session.’ Next year’s speakers include Yacov Shamash, Dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences at SBU, Russell Artzt of CA, and Diane Brink of IBM.

This year’s conference will include paper topics such as, ‘Current standards (WiFi – 802.11 b/g/a, 3G, VSAT, Bluetooth, etc.), Emerging Standards (Mobile-WiMax-802.16e, 802.11n, 4G, UWB, etc.), wireless solutions/applications (e.g., RTLS – location tracking, global roaming between, heterogeneous networks, interoperability, wireless security, RFID networks, wireless in space, mobile VOIP).’

CEWIT’s association with SBU stems from the joint initiative between the University, the technology industry, and the NY State Government. Computer Associates (CA) has already developed several research projects involving wireless technology with SBU faculty.