Extreme Makeover

‘Extreme Makeover‘ is a television program that began airing in 2002 on Thursdays at 8:00 pm. As the name suggests, this ABC reality series involves individuals volunteering to receive an extensive makeover in Hollywood. The show portrays real-life men and women who undergo transformations to look and feel better about themselves. At the end of each episode, the individual returns to his or her home for family and friends to see the ‘spectacular’ end results.

The extreme makeover team consists of doctors, top hair stylists, celebrity makeup artists and weight-loss experts. The roster includes prominent plastic surgeons such as Dr. Anthony Griffin, dentists like Dr. William Dorfman and LASIK eye surgeon Dr. Robert Maloney. Also, this endless list goes on to include Darcy Gilmore a celebrity makeup artist and wardrobe stylist Sam Saboura. This ‘extreme team’ works together to make a difference in these individuals’ lives.

After you apply for a makeover and are chosen to be on the show, you are immediately sent to live in the luxurious ‘Makeover Mansion‘. This mansion, tucked away in the Hollywood hills with a swimming pool, home gym, great scenic sites and plasma screen TVs, is where the recuperation period begins and ends. The purpose of doing this, according to the producers of this show, is to help people realize their dreams. However, it’s important to ask: is it possible to help someone find their dreams by making them look better? The individuals on the show undergo a variety of changes, ranging from plastic surgery and hairdressing, to wardrobe and exercise regime.

Even though the show’s purpose is to help others in need, it tells viewers that image is everything. By making someone who didn’t like to look at themselves in the mirror everyday look glamorous, they are making a difference in their lives. However, once these individuals go back home, there will not be a makeup artist to do their makeup everyday or a personal trainer to make them exercise.

The show follows the lives of each of their participants- how they started out in the beginning and their progressions, including illustrations of the different procedures performed on them. It is undeniably true that at the end of the process, they come out looking gorgeous and spectacular in front of their families and friends. For example, the team was able to give makeovers to two sisters who had cleft palettes. They were also able to overcome some medical challenges and provide a hair transplant for a bald woman.

Other positive aspects of the show include making a wish come true for a participant. One time a woman was flown to Manhattan to attend New York fashion week because it was something she always wanted. These makeovers generate emotions, such as joy and happiness and bring tears to the eyes of viewers. However, it makes you wonder if these individuals are confident and happy only because society tells them that they look better.

We live in an image driven world. This television show just goes to show how much of that observation is true. There are positive aspects that help individuals find themselves in the process. Due to low ratings, ABC announced that ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ re-runs would replace this show.