Women’s Swimming and Diving Fall Deep to Boston

The women’s swimming and diving team faced Boston University on Saturday, Dec. 2 at the University pool. The team had a disappointing loss of 172-111. It now stands at 2-4.

Team ‘A’ started out well by taking second place in the 200 yard medley relay with a time of 1:56.32. The team composed of Maeve Leong, Brittany Whipple, Angelica D’Esposito and Autumn Griggers. But the team was much less impressive henceforth. In the 1000 yard freestyle, Boston took the first three spots. SBU’s Lucy Liu finished fourth with a time of 11:22.07, losing third place to BU’s Morgan Sawin who had a time of 11:16.12.

The Seawolves did begin to pick up the pace when Rebecca Sayles placed second in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 1:58.16, to BU’s Eve Kinsella’s time of 1:53.86. As she has done in the past, Liu performed better in the 100 yard backstroke. She came in third with a time of 1:03.04, losing second place to BU’s Christina Ruggiero who was barely ahead with a time of 1:01.66.

Brittany Whipple once again gave a strong performance, winning second place in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:09.06, losing first place to BU’s Lidija Breznikar who had a time of 1:07.75. Angelica D’Esposito also finished strong, placing second in the 200 yard butterfly with a time of 2:21.87, losing first place to BU’s Tanaz Irani who had a time of 2:16.51.

In the 50 yard freestyle, the Seawolves took first and second place, as Courtney Teague finished second with a time of 25.70, losing first place to BU’s strong performer Kinsella who had a time of 24.72. Whipple followed Teague with a time of 26.16. In the 100 yard freestyle, Sayles placed first with a time of 55.29, followed very closely by Teague who had a time of 55.45. Sayles was also impressive in winning second place in the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 5:21.05, close to BU’s Ruggiero who had a time of 5:14.84.

Unfortunately, wins like these were scarce. BU took the first three places in the 200 yard backstroke. SBU’s Leong came fourth with a time of 2:26.26, close to (but not enough) BU’s Katie Buchta who had a time of 2:23.62.

The same placing occurred in the 200 yard breaststroke. SBU’s Krista Klicpera placed fourth with a time of 2:41.51, close to BU’s Katie Buchta, who had a time of 2:36.77. The 100 yard butterfly was no different, as SBU’s Jaclyn Lohrer placed fourth with a time of 1:03.07, extremely close to BU’s Kelly Strait who had a time of 1:02.67.

Senior Hailey Lewandowski, the strongest performer of the day, placed first in the 1 meter diving with a score of 242.12. She was followed by SBU’s Lina Pachon who earned a score of 124.65. BU’s Alex Oleinik and Alex Crerar scored 184.65 and 253.35, respectively, but were later disqualified. However, Crerar won the 3 meter dive with a score of 269.40, while Lewandowski closely placed second with a score of 246.00. Pachon placed a dissapointing fourth with a score of 96.90.

SBU’s Shelby Mirabelli won the Individual Relay (IM) by default with a time of 5:18.83 after the other three competitors, all BU athletes, were disqualified. The team ended strong with a first, second and third place win in the 200 yard freestyle relay. Team ‘A’ finished first with a time of 1:42.33.

The Seawolves will next compete against the Bearcats to face Lafayette in a tri-meet. They will meet on Jan. 17, 2007 at Binghamton. The meet begins at 2:00 PM.