Bus Driver Appreciation Day

Screams could be heard from the Student Activities bus loop. Members of The National Residence Hall Honorary ran from bus to bus with signs and a cardboard cutout of a bus. It wasn’t a protest, but a celebration for bus driver appreciation day.

‘Students originally thought we were protesting the bus drivers, but then realized our goal, and were excited and enthusiastic about the idea of showing appreciation,’ Ross Garrett, a junior in medical engineering, said. ‘Several people thought we were just crazy people yelling.’

According to SafeNY.com, on April 5, the New York Senate adopted a resolution declaring Oct. 24, 2008 School Bus Driver Appreciation Day. However, The National Residence Hall Honorary made it their own day on Oct. 21. ‘Sometimes people are taken for granted,’ Rohan Rao, a senior majoring in technological systems management with a marine specialization in environmental studies and philosophy minor, said. ‘We just wanted to make sure they were recognized properly.’

The National Residence Hall Honorary is an honor society consisting of the top 1 percent of resident student leaders across the nation. The foundations lay on four distinct pillars: Leadership, Recognition, Scholastics, and Community Service. Rao is the community service coordinator.

Rao said he appreciates the friendliness of the bus drivers. ‘I love the fact that they always wish me a good day when I get on or off,’ Rao said. ‘I appreciate the fact that they do this for the students.’
According to Krysia Olszewski, a senior in psychology, she felt that the bus drivers’ roles deserved appreciation. ‘A lot of people do a lot of different things on this just to keep it running smoothly, and most of it goes unnoticed,’ Olszewski said. ‘The work the drivers do is no exception. Without them, the walks across campus would definitely be a lot colder, and a lot longer.’

The chanting of appreciation occured between the SAC and express bus loops. The excitement from the students spread to the bus drivers. Diann Dunn, one of the railroad bus drivers and an employee for ten years, was pleasantly surprised. ‘It put a smile on my face and a spring in my step,’ Dunn said.

There are other opportunities for students to show their appreciation towards bus drivers. ‘Greet and thank them every time you get on and off the bus,’ Olszewski said. ‘One thank you can go a long way.’