Parents Cluster on Campus for Family Day

It is uncommon for students to go to class with their parents, but on Oct. 24, many did at Stony Brook University. Parents and families of’ students flocked to campus for the annual Parent/Family Day.

The newly inaugurated President, Samuel L. Stanley, welcomed students and their guests promptly at 11 a.m.’ After’ the greeting, students and their families proceeded to activities of their choice for the remainder of the afternoon.

The itinerary included tours of the university’s Newsroom of the Future, bus tours of Port Jefferson and Stony Brook Villages, and faculty lectures. These events led up to the tailgate barbeque and football game against Coastal Carolina.

At one lecture,given by School of Journalism Dean Howard Schneider, on how to be a conscientious news consumer, President Stanley introduced the lecture and speaker by sharing his view on training journalists today. ‘It is more important than ever to bring rigor to this process,’ Stanley presented the news literacy course as something that can ‘train both journalists and news consumers.’

After the educational portion of Parent/Family Day came the fun. A tailgate party for the day’s participants was moved into the Sports Complex due to the weather, but by no means did it discourage hungry families. The basketball court was decorated top to bottom in red and white, with tables upon tables of food and Stony Brook paraphernalia.

The Stony Brook Marching Band pumped up the crowd with an energetic pre-game show. Unfortunately for the Seawolves, the game itself had less than an average amount of attendees, because of the rain and bitter cold.