Less Than 2 Percent Vote in Elections

The voting machines were there.The volunteers were there.But, one thing was missing from Ballroom B in the Student Activities Center on Tuesday-the voters.

A total of 72 people registered to vote on campus casts their ballots, but only 30 voted at the polling area set up in the ballroom.According to the Suffolk County Board of Elections, 1,858 people are registered to vote at the campus polling area.

According to John J. Sarno, a polling area coordinator for 18 years, the low turnout was not surprising because many people don’t keep up with the local politics.

‘I’m not up with the details,’ Victoria Farenga, a sophomore, who voted in the past presidential election.‘I wanted to be a part of that’hellip; it was a big turning point.’

Rhonda Glassgow, a senior, psychology major said she knows it isn’t right, but she definitely pays more attention to the Presidential elections.

‘This year was an off election year,’ Helmut Norpoth, a political science professor said.‘The turnout was low for everybody.’

Vivian Viloria-Fisher for 5th Legislative District County Legislator and Mark Lesko for Town of Brookhaven Supervisor received the majority of votes on campus, reflecting the overall results of the election.‘ ‘

Those who did come out to vote did agree on one thing.

Micahael Choi, a graduate student, voted democratic and said he felt it was important to vote, because it was an opportunity to express his rights.

‘It is important for our community,’ James Derby, a sophomore who voted the republican row said.‘It is our responsibility as citizens.’

According to Norpoth, you really can’t compare the local election to the presidential election, but he did say that the surge of voters had a lot to do with President Obama.‘ ‘

‘It is going to be very hard to surpass that,’ he said.