The Buzz with the Bizz: It’s a Moonwalk

So if you have been paying attention to what has been going on in the realm of films, there is a movie that came out not too long ago, titled Michael Jackson’s This is It. The film has behind the scene footage on the entertainment life of the deceased Michael Jackson. This film is directed by Kenny Ortega. Yeah, the same director who worked on all three High School Musical movies. Sony Pictures Releasing was the company that distributed this film worldwide, mainly targeting obsessed Michael Jackson fans and those who feel associated with this controversial icon. The film was released to the public in the United States on October 29th, 2009, which is about four months after Jackson’s death. The movie is also shown in IMAX to make you feel like you are a part of the concert.

How do I feel about the showing of Michael Jackson’s This is It? Well, it is obvious that, even after his sudden death, Michael Jackson’s image is going to be a living commodity in our society. It’s similar to how people perceive Elvis Presley’s image with the slick hair, white jump suit, sexual dances, and his distinguished voice. The look Jackson portrayed during his lifetime was the white sparkling glove, the old school Gheri curls, his hat, the tacky suit, and the golden shin guards. Imitators will always mimic the deceased kings of America’s distinct music culture because of the huge impact these two individuals made on society. Of course despite the popularity and talents they had, Elvis and Jackson did have their backdrops. Elvis developed into the overweight alcoholic who died at the age of 42 overdosing on drugs. Jackson was always suspected of constantly being ‘under the knife,’ which was obvious as his skin color changed as well, the court cases with child pedophile issues, and his unorthodox urge to be a kid again. Jackson also had the family issues with his father Joe Jackson, the court case when he went to see the judge late in pajamas, and finally his death at 40 years old due to a cardiac arrest from overdosing.

The film that revolves the life of Michael Jackson is too soon and will be a predictable success just because of the product, Mr. Jackson, being premiered in it. It’s fast and easy money. Even though in the past Director Kenny Ortega and Michael Jackson had past relations when it came to entertainment, I still believe that it’s a way to get a great profit. If the people who edited these found footages really did care about Michael Jackson’s existence as a person, then the movie would’ve been out a year or two in the future. I am personally not a fan of Michael Jackson, but I do believe that the man deserves some sort of respect and needs to rest in peace. To make comparisons between Jackson’s life with Elvis’s life, there was no movie dedicated to Elvis. There was a CD packet that came out four years after his death, but that was it. During his lifetime in society’s spotlight, the character Conrad Birdie ,from George Sidney’s 1963 film Bye Bye Birdie, was basically inspired by the popularity of Elvis and the fact that he was a sexual icon.

I made the title of this article ‘It’s a Moon Walk’ because of two reasons. The main reason is because I feel that Michael Jackson needs to rest in peace, but instead the media is pulling him back as he tries to walk forward, as if he is still moon walking. The moon walk was Michael Jackson’s signature dance move. Every time you see someone moon walk, or attempt it, you think of Michael Jackson. The other reason is because this move was first executed in 1983 during his performance of Billie Jean, a song about an ill woman who caused some controversy stating that Michael Jackson fathered her kids. This can easily reflect not the controversy Michael Jackson had put on himself like in those court cases but others. These include mainly media related persons, who create a controversial buzz about the popular Michael Jackson, which is what I feel like this new film is doing. The King of Pop still cannot rest in peace!