New Dorms To Open In Spring of 2010

Alex Timofeyev has a different type of alarm clock. It’s known as the Kelly construction project located in Roosevelt Quad. ‘At 9 a.m. pronto it wakes me and basically everyone I know up,’ Timofeyev said. ‘The construction is literally about 30 yards away from where I sleep.’
‘ ‘ ‘ Plans for the building began over a year ago.’ First, plans and architectural sketches had to be drawn before any shovels hit the ground.’ Traditionally, the process of a construction project with this magnitude begins with sketches and is followed by companies placing bids on the project. Goshow Architects began drawings for this 173,000 square foot project in 2007.
According to John Sparano, director of Residential Operations, the ‘bid submission and executed contract started in March of 2008.’ J Kokolakis Construction won the bid and became the primary company on the job, followed by $600,000 added into the 2009-2010 budget. Initial foundation work began in March, but construction itself did not officially begin until August of 2008.
‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Right now, about 800 students are tripled; we are over capacity,’ Loughren said. The decision for the building to hold 600 students was determined based on incoming numbers of students, as well as reducing the amount of students living in forced triples. Officials planning the project met with students in the Residence Hall Association to discuss student needs.
‘ ‘ ‘ Students from Roosevelt and Kelly Quads will reside in the new building, splitting the count to 300 for each quad. These suite-style rooms will host six students each, with three double bedrooms, one bathroom, one shower area and one common room.
‘ ‘ ‘ It was rumored that the cost of construction would affect tuition costs for next year, but this is untrue. Loughren quashed these rumors by noting that the building will pay for itself once new students come in. All construction and maintenance costs while the building is being put up is paid for strictly by the residential budget, and will not affect tuition costs at all.
‘ ‘ ‘ As of right now, progress is behind by about one semester. ‘If everything had gone perfectly, we would have wanted it to be open in the fall of 2009’hellip;right now it looks like it will be open by the spring of ’10,’ Loughren said.
‘ ‘ ‘