USG Special Elections in Full Swing

The Undergraduate Student Government is holding elections for open seats this week.

The USG is supposed to ‘work closely with the University Administration to foster a spirit of community, diversity and fellowship, to create programs and services for the benefit of all members of the campus community,’ according to the USG Constitution.

Students can vote for candidates through SOLAR from Oct. 22 to Oct. 29.

Voters can only vote for senatorial candidates in their undergraduate colleges because senators represent the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Health Sciences Center, and the College of Arts and Sciences. That is, a student from the College of Arts and Sciences can only vote for the senator in that college.

The four candidates for the senate are Aneta Bose, Theresa Geckle, Debora Machalow, and Sean Moore. Freshman Representative candidates are Michael Carlino, Samuel Cushner and Catherine Young. There are two candidates for sophomore representatives, Michael Chuprin and Katie Patestas, and Alice Yu, the candidate for senior representative, will run without opposition.

Class representatives have no specific duties outlined in the constitution, but according to the USG website they ‘are given a powerful voice for the concerns of the students in their class.’ Representatives have been known to organize events for their class.

Syed Haq, a junior, political science-business double major, and senator for the USG said he finds that being in the USG is what you make of the position.

The candidates running for vice president of student life are Marvin Etienne and Keith Tilley.

The vice president of student life will supervise the Student Activities Board, according to Haq. The board is an agency within the USG that holds events for the student body. The SAB puts together Brookfest at the end of each spring semester, organizing a carnival and concert for students.

The usual voter turnout includes students from clubs and organizations, according to Haq, because ‘they are directly affected by USG… their appropriations and allocations are affected’ by decisions made by the student government.

The election this week is being held because certain positions are still vacant.
‘Either people who are running didn’t get the required number of votes or there was nobody running for that senate position last year,’ Haq said.

Watch some of the candidates video interviews >>