Women’s Soccer Falls On Senior Day

The women’s soccer team’s six-game unbeaten streak ended on Sunday with a shutout loss at the hands of the Albany Great Danes, 2-0.

The Seawolves hoped to extend the streak in what was not only their last home game of the season, but also their Senior Day. Honored with flowers during a rainy pre-game ceremony were the team’s seniors: goalkeeper Marisa Viola (Cutchogue, NY), and backs Alexandra Teti (Dowington, PA), Kelly Grant (Fairfax, PA) and Michelle Striefsky (Lansdale, PA).

Viola, who is Stony Brook’s career shutout leader, could not shut out Albany. She tallied only four saves while Albany’s sophomore goalkeeper Cate Crenson had eight.

Stony Brook’s backs were physical all game. Nevertheless, the team as a whole committed sixteen fouls and allowed Albany to capitalize on a free kick. Albany sophomore midfielder Chrissy Klepper scored the game-winning goal from fifteen yards out in the 25th minute, receiving a cross on the free kick from sophomore midfielder Rebecca Lee.

Despite the defensive effort, the Seawolves could not keep up with Albany’s speed and versatility. In the 39th minute, the backs allowed Albany senior forward Ashley Tirabassi to dribble to the center of the box and shoot a goal into the lower right post.

The Seawolves took sixteen shots, eight of which were on goal, but failed to find the best way to score against a team who went toe to toe with them physically.

The loss is the first for the Seawolves in America East play this fall. They remain second in conference standings with Boston University in first and Binghamton in third. Both Stony Brook and Boston have one loss.

The Seawolves will play their final game of the season on Thursday when they visit the Maine Black Bears. Kickoff is at 3 p.m.